Friday, September 9, 2016

Paddle Pilgrim: Did you know?

My paddle adventure begins DOWNSTREAM from the Falls....


There are 35 locks on the Erie Canal.
                                   
                                                     
A section of the original canal was an aqueduct over the Mohawk River


One of my heroes, Pete Seeger: songwriter, activist, humanitarian, and on his sailing sloop, the Clear Water, led the fight to clean up the Hudson River.   You will be in my "cloud of witnesses" as I paddle and we can sing together your anthem: "If I had a hammer!"
The Woman's Suffrage Movement began in 1848 in Seneca Falls on the Erie Canal.



The Hudson School brought a "romantic" artistic lens to the river valley.




The Little Red Lighthouse below the George Washington Bridge
(LRL was also a wonderful book I enjoyed as a child)

Truer than ever....




No comments:

Post a Comment